Hoarder Cleaning Services in College Hill Virginia
If you are a landlord, property manager, or another housing professional, you may be concerned about the possibility of a hoarder renting your property. After all, not only does this behavior create fire safety issues, indoor air quality problems, and health concerns, it can also damage the property where the hoarder lives. Learn what degree of damage can occur and the potential legal ramifications for tenants who hoard.
Property Damage Caused by Hoarding
- Vermin infestation: Cockroaches, rats, and flies are attracted to rotting food and animal waste, so they may be present in severe hoarding situations. The presence of vermin in a property not only spreads disease among the people and animals living there, but it can lead to holes in the cabinetry, stains on the carpet, and other property damage.
- Mold growth: Hoarders often hold onto food, even after it has gone bad. Spoiled food in the refrigerator, on pantry shelves, and sitting out for days, weeks, or even months harbor mold growth. This may easily spread to the walls and floor of the rental unit, damaging the property in the process.
- Plumbing damage: In extreme hoarding situations, clogged drains may be difficult to access for repair purposes, resulting in sewer backups that leak into the floors and cause sanitation issues.
- Pet damage: Some hoarders attempt to care for dozens or even hundreds of animals. Unsanitary conditions often result, with urine and feces saturating every surface and making the space a serious health hazard.
- Structural damage: It’s possible for hoarders to collect so many belongings that the sheer weight of it all causes structural damage. The problems listed above can also lead to concerns regarding a home’s structural integrity.
If your previous tenant was a hoarder, and now you need help cleaning up the property before you find a new renter, reach out to Water Fire Mold of Lynchburg. Cleaning and deodorizing are two of our specialties, as is mold remediation, so we’re confident we can restore your rental unit to pristine condition.